Lismore Lighthouse 1833 - Firth of Lorne - Isle of Mull Scotland
This beautiful lighthouse is seen from the ferry going between Oban and the Isle of Mull. It is possibly the most photographed lighthouse in Scotland. The lighthouse was designed by the Northern Lighthouse Board engineer Robert Stevenson. The construction of the lighthouse took about three years. The tower is painted all white and stands out against the backdrop of the green hills on Lismore Island. As a result, the lighthouse is easily visible to navigation in the Sound of Mull and the Firth of Lorne by day and night and for the entrance of Caledonian Canal near Fort William. Its first light occurred in October 1833. The sky is a perfect backdrop for this bright white structure.